Energy: Empowering Women, Uplifting Lives
“Energy: Empowering Women, Uplifting Lives” supported by ENERGIA, the International Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy, hosted by ETC of the Netherlands. This project falls under ENERGIA’s Phase 5 program component: “Gender and Energy Advocacy”. It is being implemented in Nepal under the leadership of Centre for Rural Technology, Nepal (CRT/N). This three- year project has been initiated since 1 January 2015. The project consortium partners are National Association of Community Electricity Users Nepal (NACEUN) and Nepal Forum of Environmental Journalists (NEFEJ) with Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) providing policy support to the project.
The overall objective of this undertaking is to advocate for gender and social inclusion within the UN SE4ALL initiatives in Nepal. The project foresees an increased understanding amongst SE4ALL stakeholders at the national and sub-national level the gender, social inclusion and energy nexus; the importance of appropriately addressing at policy and program level and the effective integration of GESI agenda within all initiatives the SE4ALL and thereby contributing to overall objectives of SE4ALL.
The project areas selected for this project will be the same six districts selected for the ENERGIA supported project “Promoting Women-led Enterprises for Energy Access and Local Production (WEE-Nepal)” namely Khotang, Udaypur, Sindhuli, Kavre, Lalitpur and Dhading.
Project Period: 1 January, 2015 to 31 August, 2017
- Community (women, men and children, user groups (water and forest), traditional leaders (social and religious));
- Energy Service Providers (NGOs, technologies suppliers, installers, finance institutions and local media) and,
- Policy Makers and Planners (National, Local)
- National Policy Makers, Planners and SE4ALL National Focal Points : Government Ministries and key Government Agencies such as: National Planning Commission, Ministry of Energy and Ministry of Science Technology and Environment as well as other relevant Ministries/Departments such as the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare, Ministry of Industries, Federation of Industries (Women Entrepreneurs Unit) and Association of Micro-Finance, Alternative Energy Promotion Centre, Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Women and Social Welfare .
- Local Government/Development Community: other project practitioners/project implementers/academics: such as District and Village Development Committees and local Civil Society, Women Associations, Social Enterprises and Microfinance institutions Targets at an International Level
- International Level: International/Regional Energy Sector Policy/Decision Makers (UNDP, WB, UN Agencies such as UNDP, UNIDO, NEPAD, SE4ALL GFT, SE4ALL, SG Office, GACC, GIZ, NORAD,IUCN and ENERGIA)
The learning and case studies received from “Promoting Women-led Enterprises for Energy Access and Local Production (WEE-Nepal)” project districts will form a basis in the advocacy for improved access to energy for empowering and uplifting the lives of women in partnership with NGOs /CBOs and social icons through various media for mass awareness and interactions at the national level and multi-pronged communication at advocacy at the international level in partnership with ENERGIA IS.