Improving Rural Livelihoods In Nepal With Pico-Hydro Electrification And Improved Water Mill
A new project entitled “Improving Rural Livelihoods in Nepal with Pico-Hydro Electrification and Improved Water Mill” has been awarded to Center for Rural Technology, Nepal by Siemenpuu Foundation, Finland under Siemenpuu Foundation and EKOenergy Climate Fund call for Small-Scale Renewable Electricity Projects to establish renewable electricity installations aiming at alleviation of energy poverty and social inequality in Mali, Myanmar and Nepal.
The project will be implemented in Nepal from July 2018-Septemeber 2019 in Rautamai and Lingchunbuu Gaupalika of Udaypur District under which two units of Pico hydro and Improved Water Mill system will be installed.
Objective of The project:
- The broad objective of the project will be socio-economic upliftment of the beneficiaries contributing to the community development through income and employment generation from the micro-enterprises and livelihood opportunities with installation of Pico-hydro units.
- Pico-Hydro units installed for generating electricity in off-grid area.
- Better education opportunity for the children due to lighting facilities in the evening that extends their due to prolong study time and hassle free from insufficient source of lighting.
- Decrease in workload of women and children from carrying agro products
- Displacement of traditional diesel mills presently in use for agro-processing
- Economic and social empowerment of men and women from economic and socially deprived groups of the targeted communities
- Reduction in gender violence as men and women will equally participate in household activities and livelihood opportunities
- Improved health due to access to clean energy and reduction in drudgery
- Available of reliable, local, clean solution for lighting
- Socio-economic upliftment of the beneficiaries contributing to the community development through income and employment generation from the micro-enterprises and livelihood opportunities
- Increase in the time spent by children in education as well increase in number of children (boys and girls) in education due to clean and sufficient source of lighting
- Contribution in low green house emission by promoting renewable energy technology like water mill and Pico-hydro which will support in displacement of existing diesel mills
- Increased economic empowerment opportunities for women via several income generating skill based capacity development training
- Contribution to SDGs related with No Poverty (1), Zero Hunger(2), Good Heath and Well Being (3), Quality Education (4), Gender Equality (5), Affordable and Clean Energy (7), Reduced Inequalities (10), Climate Action (13)
No. of Beneficiaries: 155 HHs (810 Population; Female=465; Male=365)