Eco-Village Development in South Asia: EVD Phase 1
The formulation of this regional project, its contents, contexts and objectives have been prepared jointly by all respective partners from South Asia which includes India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The countries in South Asia have been identified as countries with emerging economies and expanding populace. In growing economies, developments are bound to be centralized. Therefore development tends to leave large parts of the rural population in poverty. The poorest groups of society are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Therefore, intervention is made in a way that can address poverty reduction, reduction in emission of Green House Gases (GHGs) and sustainable development of rural sector of the country and also produce result where development with poverty reduction and climate mitigation does not need to be in conflict. However, advocacy of the EVD concept is necessary in order to aware concerned stakeholders at local, national and regional level who can influence the decision and policy makers at local, regional and national level. The experience-based advocacy can become a strong tool for promoting and campaigning for Eco Village Development (EVD) concept to be included into national, regional and international negotiations on climate change/mitigation and poverty alleviation.
- To establish demonstration for eco-village development and strengthen advocacy for low carbon pro-poor sustainable eco-village development to influence national decision-makers, policy makers and climate negotiators to include EVD concept in their climate-related policies and in their proposals for international climate negotiations.
- To make relevant stakeholders at local, national, regional and international aware of sustainable EVD as local climate mitigation and adaptation solution.
- To strengthen rural development to reduce poverty in ways that limit greenhouse gas emissions (mitigate climate change) in South Asia.
Project Duration: January 15, 2015 – July 15, 2017 (30 months)
Project Areas in Nepal:
This pilot project is being implemented in three different villages from Kavrepalanchwok district namely Chaymrangebsesi-2 village, Chyamrangbesi VDC; Ladkhu-Chanaute-2 and 9, Dhunkharka VDC and Sikrigyang-9 village, ChalalGaneshsthan VDC.
Civil Society in Development (CISU), Denmark
Danish International Human Settlement Service (DIB), Denmark
The activities are made in cooperation with the NGO networks of INFORSE and CANSA, and the INFORSE-South Asia national focal points and coordinator: Center for Rural Technology (CRT/N) in Nepal, IDEA in Sri Lanka, Grameen Shakti in Bangladesh, and INSEDA in India.
In framework of the project, the Center for Rural Technology Nepal (CRT/N)’s advocacy activities include:
– Organising local and national dialogues and trainings.
– Publishing Flyer, Posters, Policy Briefs in Nepali and English
– Publishing Case Studies
– Co-editing a Publication and a Training of Trainers Manual on Eco-Village Development in South Asia, which are available in English, Nepali, Sinhala, Hindi and Bangla.
– Participating in United Nations Climate Conferences (UNFCC) with side event presentations in cooperation with INFORSE.
– Co-editing International Policy Briefs to UNFCCC.
– Participating in South Asian regional events with presentations.
-Input articles to INFORSE’s newsletter “Sustainable Energy News”, the newsletter of INFORSE-South Asia, CANSA and CRT/Nepal.
– Producing a short documentary film on Eco-Village Development (EVD) in Nepali and in English.
Publications, proceedings of events, policy briefs, flyers, posters, and newsletters are available to download below and at the Publication section.
Publication: Environment Friendly Solution of Eco-Village Development
EVD Solutions in Nepal (36 pages)
Publication: Case Study Compilation on Eco-Village Development Project in Nepal, 14 cases
Case Studies in English (14 pages)
Publication: Eco-Village Development (EVD) as Climate Solution: Proposals from South Asia, 60 pages, 2017
EVD as Climate Solution (in English) http://www.inforse.org/asia/pdf/Pub_EVD-SouthAsia.pdf
EVD as Climate Solution (in Nepali) http://www.inforse.org/asia/pdf/Pub_EVD_SouthAsia_Nepal.pdf
Documentary on Eco-Village Development in Nepal – Documentary:
Link: You Tube Channel of the Centre for Rural Technology Nepal in English. and in Nepali. 12 minutes, April 2017.
The 5th Asia-Pacific Climate Change Adaptation Forum, • 17-19 October, 2016
Presentation by CRT Nepal. http://inforse.org/asia/pdf/EVD_APAN_5th_CRT_Nepal_Oct17_2016.pdf
Exchange Visit Nov, 2016 Report_exchange visit_final_revised
“Eco-Village Development Policy Brief, November, 2016 (in Nepali) Policy Brief_Nep_11.14.16
National Event 1 April, 2017 National Event_Nepal_Report
Policy Brief in English https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9TKiue-JoxteEh2ZWZQYjgzVEE
UNFCCC presentations by CRT/N: