Centre for Rural Technology,Nepal (CRT/N) is a partner of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (GACC), a public-private initiative led by the United Nations Foundation (UNF) to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women and preserve the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean cooking solutions.
GACC has awarded the second phase grant support to CRT/N for the project enhancing capacity of “Regional Cookstoves Testing and Knowledge Centre” (RTKC). The project is a part of GACC’s strategy to strengthen the cookstoves sector’s ability to evaluate, communicate, and improve performance of cookstoves and fuels and thus improve adoption of clean cookstoves. In line with GACC’s mission RTKC Nepal is dedicated to improve the testing facility provide quality service to national stakeholders and extend its service to the regional level regarding capacity building, stoves testing, forming National Standards on Cookstoves Performance Testing and harmonizing with International Standards.
Vision: To be the region’s experts in research, testing and development of bioenergy products & services
Mission: To Improve Technology, communicate performance and promote sales and adoption of clean cooking devices and support the process of standardization in the country and the globe
- Enhance Testing Capacity of RTKC mapping to the International Standard Organization (ISO) and International Workshop Agreement (IWA) Tiers of Performance.
- Promote Research and Development on Clean Cooking Technologies
- Establish effective knowledge dissemination and networking with other Stove Testing and Knowledge Centres at the national and regional level.
- Advocate and support to Government of Nepal’s mission on "Clean Cooking Solutions for All by 2017” implemented by AEPC.
- Offer testing and monitoring services to organizations at national and regional level.
- Support ISO TC 285: Clean Cookstoves and Clean Cooking Technology in standards formation and advocate for National standards in compliance with the international standards
- Pave way to enhance the centre’s service menu to other environmental services such as stack emissions monitoring, validating carbon projects; institutional energy audits etc.
Development Partners (Funding agencies):
Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (GACC) led by United Nations Foundation (UNF)
Partner Organizations: About 4 organizations have been added to the existing list of partners with some level of collaborative activities during the time frame (It makes the total to 29 core partner organizations Please refer to the Annual Report 2014 for remaining partner organizations.)
- I-Dev International, Washington DC, USA
- Mountain Air Engineering Oregon, USA
- Prakti Design Ltd, India
- IIT Delhi
Project Duration: second phase starts from March 01, 2015 to February 28, 2016
Project Area: Based in Kathmandu and provides service in the country and extends in the region
Beneficiaries: RTKC Nepal has been working with the number of National and International Organizations. 27 are listed above in the partner organizations.
- Cookstoves Laboratory Capacity has been enhanced with addition of Black Carbon Monitoring device, sootscan transmisometre to the existing gravimetric system for analyzing emissions.
- Chimney hood has been added with additional facility for testing chimney stoves.
- A prototype for Calibration Gas Mixing Unit has been established at the Centre for calibrating equipment. The staffs have been trained for operating and conducting tests and calibrating the equipment.
- Business Plan and Strategy Development for the Centre is in progress with support from I-Dev International and GACC.
- Supporting the formation of International Standards as an expert member of ISO TC 285: Clean Cookstoves and Clean Cooking Solutions through National Mirror Committee hosted by NBSM in the capacity of Working Group 3: Field Testing Guidance
Related Downloads :Download - Notice Published in Nagarik on 28 Oct, 2016
Download - RTKC Brochure
Download - Application Form In English
Download - Selection Procedure for Product Development
Download - RTKC Newsletter Vol 1 Issue 2
Download - RTKC Newsletter Vol 1 Issue 1
Download - RTKC Newsletter Vol 1 Issue 3
Download - RTKC Newsletter Vol 2 Issue 1